The Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Garden
The Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Garden is a historic site on 3 acres of land overlooking the beautiful Lake Osceola in Winter Park. The museum was Albin Polasek’s former retirement home, studio, galleries and chapel, as well as surrounding gardens filled with Polasek’s sculptures. In May 2000 the museum was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Albin Polasek was born in 1879 in what is now known as the Czech Republic and created more than 400 works during his career. He apprenticed in Vienna and attended the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia and the American Academy of Art in Rome. Albin Polasek retired to Winter Park, Florida in 1949 after nearly thirty years as the head of the Department of Sculpture at the Art Institute of Chicago. In 1961, the Albin Polasek Foundation was formed at the sculptor’s request, and his gallery was opened to the public as a museum. Contributions include the donation of sculptures Forest Idyl and the Emily fountain to the City of Winter Park, the long-term loan of Man Carving His Own Destiny to the Winter Park Public Library, art scholarships to the University of Central Florida, Rollins College, Crealde School of Art, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Brown University and the Art Institute of Chicago. Winter Park would not be the same without Albin Polasek as part of its history.